Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Days 67 & 68 - 19th & 20th May 2008

19th May - 45 miles to Erzican. Another climb followed by superb descent through magnificent sandstone mountains. It is rugged, untamed and beautiful.

Rain looms so we stop in Erzican. I discover a sheared off bolt on my pannier carrier. I am guided to an agricultural machinery workshop who drill and re-tap the thread and obtain spare bolt. I receive tea whilst I wait. "How much do I owe you?" I ask, "Nothing" is the smiling response. This is Turkey.

20th May - 75 miles to Tercan, another wonderful ride initially through plateau surrounded by snow capped mountains on both sides. Rough camp by river. Excellent day. Legs feel fit!

1 comment:

Andrew Smerdon said...

So, your legs are finally fit - about bloody time i reckon...and it only took you 3000 miles to work that out!
Turkey sounds wonderful, I bet its not as green as Devon in May though..keep up the good work and don't burn you or the bike out.
We expect a full presentation on 'goatherds I have known & loved' when you get back! (The Mastiff-type guard dogs are used pretty widely in Europe - I've seen them doing the same job in upland Spain)
All the Best
Andrew