Thursday, May 29, 2008

Days 75, 76 & 77 - 27th, 28 & 29th May 2008

27th May - 75 miles to MARAND. Temperature hot, started at 21deg and in afternoon it was 32 deg. I am not acclimatised yet. We have been used to fresh mountain air in Turkey. The hottest time is between 2pm and 5.30pm. The sun gets you from above and the tarmac gets you from below. Fortunately you can get air movement by pedalling! We stop for lunch in a very empty restauant by road - chicken, rice, salad and coke plus lots of water comes to 25,000 rial (£1.50). When I change £50 I shall be just short of being a millionaire!

Rough camp in orchard and given lots of small green fruit by farmer and bread & extra water by Ali (an English teacher) and a friend who is studying for his masters in biology. They are both really nice, very friendly and highly intelligent, very interested in our travels but very concerned about the bad media coverage of Iran.

28th May - 57 miles to TABRIZ. Cycle straight there without resting. Initially climbing but then relatively flat and uninteresting. Reach Tabriz for 3 pm and book into hotel in centre of city. It is basic and cheap and used a lot by university students studying here. It has an excellent shaded and cool courtyard where I can service my bike.

29th May - Rest Day in Tabriz. There is always so much to do on a rest day - washing, bike servicing, internet finding and using, tourist information office etc etc, that I finish the day with a rest?? I have been requested to eat well and asked what do I eat! The simple answer is "yes". I was always a good eater and now I have become an avid one. When we buy provisions for evening meal and breakfast (if camping) we take on bread (3 loaves), yoghurt (500 gm each), pasta plus sauce, tuna, cheese, fruit juice (1 litre each min), many bars of chocolate, biscuits. We always have honey & jam available to go with yoghurt plus coffee and tea. It is essential to carry at least 3 litres of water each before stopping. I am, now it is getting hotter, going to carry extra water. I have a water carrying pouch, as yet unused, which can hold 10 litres. I am told that it is now 40 degrees in Esfahan.

As you can imagine when one is fully provisioned the total load is about 40 kg, hills are not welcome at the end of the day!! Sometimes you have to get provisions early because the little village shops, particularly here in Iran, have very little of what you need.

I am heading off in the direction of Esfahan tomorrow, it will take about 10 days to reach. Simon is heading off to Tehran to get a visa for Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. So tomorrow I will return to being a solo rider. I have been with Simon for 1.5 of my 2.5 months so it will be a sad farewell. It has been an excellent partnership.

No comments: