Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rogers report of his stay in hospital in Iran

Below a report on first week post accident.

1st June Damaged bike and all equipment remain at MIYNNEH 167km away under police control, my watch and gold ring are not with me either. they were removed prior to my surgery, I have no idea of the passage of time. The only kit I have here in Tabriz is my bloody cycle shorts and top which will be washed and returned to me later. I have no phone, money, note book or passport all things of importance and value are with the police in Miynneh.

I keep notes on rough pieces of paper to later be able to put them into my journal. It is difficult bearing a sore disorganised head and feeling frail and ineffective. I am visited by Dr Payman Vahedi a most excellent consultant young doctor who will oversee my treatment, he summarises the extent of my injuries, both head and body. Also visited by Dr Hussein Ghashemi (surgeon) who is very pleased with my healing process and takes photos of me on my request and records me talking about my accident and situation, I give him my web address and he sends the message and recording to Fiona. This activates Fiona making contact with The British Consul in Iran and making contact with my brother Ian who is a consultant anaethasist and my 1st emergency contact.

2nd June - Telephone call from Sandra Sianaki of the British Consul of Iran. Who gives me very helpful and positive advice plus her contact details. I am very grateful to her and encouraged by the contact.

4th June - Copy of email from brother Ian given to me by Dr Vahedi. It is a much appreciated message and gives me a proper sense of direction. I must listen to all doctors words of advice and return to the UK for rest and recuperation.

5th June - I email to Ian and Sally using Dr Vahedis computer. Iwish I felt better. I desperately need a strong positive attitude, my progress prior to accident has been very good but post accident has not been. Time and good policy is essential for good repair. My emotional state post accident has been high.

7th June - This is my planned release date from hospital. My confidence is very low. The above period of recuperation in hospital was very difficult. I was very fragile, back and neck stiff, head sore and dopey. Ribs sore and damaged, painful lower rib cage, my back hurts whenever I move or hiccup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr.Hicks,
I hope that you will read this or I will be glad if any one could transfer my message to you

We are glad to see you are OK.
After we visited you at Mr. safikhani's house, I didn't contact with you again and it was because of my job's.
as i said, the day after I visited you I have to go to Tehran because of my job and as soon as I arrived to Tabriz,I called Mr. Safikhani but he said that you went back to UK last night.
as I said to you , I had started my little business and I'm so busy with whole works that I have to do but I'm very glad to see you are OK and come back to sweet home again.

And... at last,' it seems my English schedules doesn't go well so I'm sorry a bout my whole grammer mistakes!

sincerely
Arash,Parivash

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,well what an adventure!!, I shall have to get your e-mail address from Fiona. Anyway I am sorry that your trip was cut so short, but thank god you have survived your ordeal.It goes to show how kind people, whatever their creed or colour can be so kind. Whatever, you have cycled 4000 bloddy miles over all sorts of obstacles and terrain and you should be very proud of yourself, as we all our in the office. Speak or e-mail soon, take care Andy (AH office)